Foster teens & young adults
Education & vocational training
District updates: Get the latest on SF Unified School District (SFUSD) distance learning, school reopenings, support for special student populations and more from COVID-19 Response Updates and Resources and COVID 19 FAQ.
- Nutritional & meals: Find out how and where to pick up Free Grab & Go Meals from SFUSD schools.
Behavior focused: Shoestrings is a new SFUSD program that helps kids ages 3.5 to 5 regulate and understand their emotions in order to avert an “emotional disturbance” designation, a Special Education category where black children are overrepresented. Children with IEP’s are not eligible. Learn more. Contact Crystal Hawkins at Hawkinsc@sfusd.edu, (415) 401-2551.
Foster youth school district liaison: The California Department of Education requires each school district to designate a foster youth liaison who advocates for them in the district. View the liaisons.
Free online learning & technology
- iFoster’s free, unlimited high-speed data hotspots, headsets, and laptops to assist in taking online classes. Contact iFoster at (855)-936-7837 or email phone@iFoster.org.
- MIND Research Institute offers free access to a math instructional program for K-8 students.
- Scholastic offersfree, online learning for kids of all ages.
Special education: Golden Gate Regional Center provides in-person, one-on-one services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities. Services may also include a Personal Assistant can help guide and monitor distance learning and other activities. Email Wanda Tackett at email@example.com or call (415) 546-9222.
Support for Black San Franciscans: Black to the Future is a city-supported SFUSD affiliated collaborative that supports family and youth advocacy, education, health and wellness, employment, violence prevention. Contact Chico Wells at (415) 678-7090.
- Jewish Vocational Services (JVS) helps youth and adults succeed through job skills training and internships that make the right connections. Visit org and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Department of Rehabilitation Student Services provides job training and support for youth ages 16 to 21 with a 504, IEP, and disabilities. Email email@example.com or call (415) 805-1889.