About the Mentor Program
The SF Resource Family Mentor Program offers daytime and after-hours peer support, advice and advocacy to new and existing Resource Families.
The program is a project of the Parenting for Permanency College (PPC)* and serves as an extension of our commitment to providing care providers with ongoing learning and support. Our goal is to increase retention and reinforce the goals of safety, permanency and well-being for all children and families.
*The Parenting for Permanency College is a collaboration between SF County Family and Children\’s Services and Alternative Family Services (AFS).
About our Mentors
Our Mentors are dedicated care providers with a wealth of experience navigating the child welfare system. Together, they have over 50 years of experience as foster and resource parents and have cared for children of varying ages and needs. Each one of our mentors is committed to relationships based on mutual respect, compassion and open communication, and they enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience with fellow Resource Families.
How does it work?
1. Experienced Resource Families (Mentors) are matched with prospective, new and current Resource Families (Mentees) based on needs, location and other commonalities. Matching may occur:
- After PreService Training
- By referral from FCS staff
- Self-Referral: email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your RFA worker
2. Mentors provide in-person, phone and email advice and training on:
- Preparing your home and family to welcome a child in care
- Navigating complaint investigations
- Fostering relationships with Bio-Families
- Working with cultural differences (food, skin, hair)
- Caring for children with higher behavioral needs
3. Mentors provide support with in-person meetings, including:
- Child & Family Team Meetings
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) Meetings
- Social Worker Meetings
- First Family Visits
To receive non-emergency advice and support please contact us:
Mentor Phone Line:
7 Days a Week
8:00am – 10:00pm
Our Mentors check the phone line every 2 hours and will call you back as soon as they receive your message.
For more information about the program, please contact Mentor Program Facilitator Jeana Lasser at email@example.com.